sábado, 4 de julio de 2015

Hi Chile


The city I have always known, the same house, the same people,
almost a year has passed but it seems like time has stayed still. 
my friends ask me how it was... I don't know what to say. 
Is it like moving to a new house?
Is it like when you change school?
Is it like going in a new class?
How could I sum up an entire year just in an answer?

La ciudad que siempre he conocido, la misma casa, las mismas personas.
Casi un año a pasado, pero parece que el tiempo aún sigue parado.
Mis amigos me preguntan cómo me fue... nunca se que decir.
Es cómo cambiarse de colegio?
Es como cambiarse de casa?
Es como cambiarse de curso?
Cómo puedo explicar un año completo en tan sólo una respuesta? Puede que si me preguntan lo mismo, les diré "me fue bien" pero eso no es suficiente, ningún tipo de respuesta será suficiente para explicar lo que este año significó para mi.
Y de hecho, la respuesta a las tres preguntan que escribí arriba es no, no y no,
no es ni siquiera cercano a lo que es cambiarse de colegio, casa o curso, más bien es crear una vida completamente desde cero, y eso no es algo que sucede al realizar alguna de esas tres cosas...

(at the airport with my little sister/ en el aeropuerto con mi hermana)

 People have gone on with their lives but at the same time everything seems just the same. 
but you know? I feel different. I'm different.
I’m not longer afraid of the unknown, I feel like I could do everything, I'm full of energy right now...
but how can I explain all these changes without sounding arrogant and egocentric? 
Being an exchange student has been the most amazing challenge in my life.
When I think about it, it’s totally crazy. Going to a new country, where you don’t know anyone, where you don't speak the language. I had no idea what would await on the other side of the world or whether I’d like it or not... But I felt something stronger. Something that made me say goodbye to my life, family and friends, and go out to discover not only the world, but also myself.

(first breakfast in Chile/Primer desayuno en Chile)

People think that going abroad is all fun, parties, travel and making new friends, and of course those things are part of the year, but they don’t know how difficult it was to see our families and friends posting pictures of their outings and reunions that we have always attended, and have to convince ourselves that we’re happy here and that we wouldn’t want to change places.
They don’t know how nervous we get on the first day of school when you can't really make friends so easily because of the language.They don’t know how it’s like to arrive to a house full of strangers and assimilating that they will be our “family” now. They don’t know about all those nights, were just a message from a chilean would bring us tears and memories from back home.

Las personas piensan que irse de intercambio es sólo diversión, viajes, carretes y hacer amigos, y obviamente que eso es parte del año, pero ellos no saben lo difícil que fue tener que ver a familiares y amigos poniendo fotos de reuniones y juntas a las que siempre hemos ido, pero que esta vez no estamos allí y tener que convencernos que somos felices aquí y que no queremos cambiar de lugar, tener que convencerme a mi misma que no me importaba no estar en esa final de basketball importante, o en ese cumpleaños de alguien a quien quiero o que no importaba que mis amigas salieran y no me invitaran... Ellos no saben lo nervioso y complicado que es ir al colegio donde hacer amigos es lo más dificil del mundo por no manejar el lenguaje. Ellos no saben lo que es llegar a una casa lleno de extraños y asimilar que serán tu familia ahora. Ellos no saben sobre esas noches donde tan sólo al recibir un corto mensaje de un amigo chileno formaba lagrimas y memorias de casa, de Chile.


 (Welcome Barbie/Bienvenida Barbie)
I don't want you to think that EVERYTHING was hard, because it wasn't.
The "awkward" situations became funny anecdotes and loneliness suddenly turned into a list of outings and plans. I learned my way around on the bus, and the language didn’t scare me anymore.
I started to discover that there's nothing “normal”
and the only thing that would be "weird", would be going back home.
 Suddenly, I found the definition of home.
Home is no longer a place, but a feeling.
People I met for a few months, belong to a big part of my life now. Family is no longer just blood related but it extends to all those who have found their way into our hearts. Nationalities and boundaries don't exist now. Days become weeks and weeks become months. 
Our heart is unexpectedly broken into little pieces that will go away into different countries of the world not knowing when we’ll be able to find them once again.
But somehow manage to come back together with the memories of them.
The pain of living in two worlds where I don’t fully belong is devastating, but at the same time I know that this is a small price to pay when I have gained so much. The times I had and the memories I made can’t be taken away by any time nor distance, and even though it hurts to have my heart scattered in different corners of the world, if I had to do it all over once again, I wouldn’t hesitate to say yes.

No quiero que piensen que absolutamente TODO era difícil, porque no lo era.
Las situaciones "incómodas" se convirtieron en anécdotas divertidas y la soledad de repente se convirtió en una lista de  planes y viajes. 
Aprendí el recorrido del bus, y el idioma no me asustaba más.
Empecé a descubrir que no hay nada "normal" en el mundo, que sólo son diferencias culturales y que la única cosa que sería "raro", iba a ser volver a casa.
 De repente, encontré la definición de hogar.
Mi casa, mi hogar ya no era un lugar, sino un sentimiento.
La gente que conocí durante unos meses, son una gran parte de mi vida ahora. 
Mi familia ya no es sólo la relación de sangre, sino que se extiende a todos aquellos que han encontrado su lugar en nuestros corazones (el de los estudiantes de intercambio).
 Las nacionalidades y los límites ya no existen ahora. 
Los días se convierten en semanas y las semanas se convierten en meses. El tiempo vuela.
Nuestro corazón  se rompe inesperadamente en pequeñas piezas que van a terminar en diferentes países del mundo sin saber cuándo nos veremos de nuevo,
pero de alguna manera esas piezas logran regresar junto con los recuerdos de ellos.
El dolor de vivir en dos mundos, en dos vidas, es devastador, pero al mismo tiempo sé que es un pequeño precio a pagar por tooooooooooooooodo lo que he ganado.
Las veces que reí y los recuerdos que he hecho no pueden ser quitados por ningún tiempo ni distancia, y aunque duele decir adios, se que siempre tendré a esos amigos en diferentes rincones del mundo, y si pudiera hacerlo todo de nuevo, todo este año, no dudaría en decir que sí.


I'M BACK, FRIENDS!

I love these girls! (Javi, Vale, Cami and Kathy in my welcome party)

Denmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!

(Empanadas- chilean food)

My favorite dessert: Mote con huesillo!

First school day!


My best friend and I!


TUYO!

First party in Chile!
(que gordaaaaaaaaaaaa)


First day with my Basketball team!

This first week I have had sooooooooo many things to do!
My family came last Sunday, my friends came last Monday, I went to school last Tuesday and we went to the theater with my class and other classes (I have a video about it HERE
The rest of the days I just went to school, I said hi to all the teachers, friends and aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the people here haha
It was crazy!
I also went to church for first time just with young people.
I played basketball for first time at school and the same day (friday) my brother, two friends and me played basketball! yeeeeeeeeees! I'm freaking happy!
Now I'm watching the Chilean football final!

Esta primera semana ha sido loquisima!
mil cosas que hacer!
Decirle Hola a todo el mundo es genial y loco al mismo tiempo,
tuve mi primera fiesta, primer partido (amistoso) de basket, primera changa con amigos, primera vez en la mutual con amigos, etc 
y ahora el partido de Chile!


Trip to the theater from Scarlett Pontillo Correa on Vimeo.



GOOD VIBES! 


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Something to say? Algo que decir?